Friday 20 November 2009

An extra pair of hands


For one reason or another, we aren't exactly sending away the queues of helpful relatives offering us help. With our lives being such as they are (a baby that needs 24/7 supervision, who only ever 'cat naps', endless streams of medical appointments, plus 2 other children who also have many of their own needs, chris and I were feeling rather stretched to say the least. So, we've got an extra person :0)
Just what we needed.
We had the meeting with 'B' from the rainbow trust... He assessed our needs, and offered us their services. He bought 's' with him, who throughout played with hope. When 'b' said we'd be allocated our own family support worker, I hoped it would b s. It is :0)
She started straight away. She stayed after 'b' left.
It's only been 2 weeks since our first meet, but I can say she really is a welcome addition to our family.
She's already won the kids over. And max is not easily won over. At all.

S will watch Hope for me, so that I can do housework. She'll come/take us to appointments, or pick the kids up from school when H and I are at an Appointment (it's not ideal pulling them out of school, but that's what I've had to do so far).
The service is there as and when we need it. 24/7! Her car is loaded with baking goodies and art and craft things, so the kids enjoy her looking after them. What's more; she's a paediatric nurse who has previously worked in a childrens' hospice. Oh, and ...she really is lovely!

I guess the only negative, is the reasons we qualify :0(

We've had 5 appointments this week. 3 last week. 3 again next week lol. Will update on all of those when I have the energy!!!

Children in need tonight! Will be watching it from a different perspective tonight. Jordan knitted a pudsey bear. I sponsered her to. I made a donation yesterday, but Knowing that my donation is just a drop in the ocean, and that Hope will benefit from the charities children in need fund.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds likea big help and I'm glad you feel able to accept an extra pair of hands. Often we as parents find it hard to let anyone else do things for us but it must be especially hard for you these days so I am thrilled for you all to have an extra backup. You are an inspiration and I am full of admiration for all you do Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've stumbled across someone wonderful there, Caroline. I'm so pleased that she's fitted into your home so seamlessly and that you've got that extra support on hand as and when you need it.

    Well done to Jordan with the knitting! Been thinking of you lots recently - every time I hear anyone counting down to Christmas, you and Sam pop into my head. Sending you all lots of love - that's a gorgeous picture of Hope above, by the way.

    Charlotte xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie